Huayna Picchu (8860') is that famous peak in the background of the classic Machu Picchu shot. It is about 1100 feet above MP itself (7710'). It is a little steep:
Quoting from our guidebook: "Avoid Climbing HP in the rain or just after a rain because the trail can become slippery in places, and a slip can be fatal. You cannot rely on the tree branches to break your fall." Yippee!
The trail up is pretty much all steps. This trail was made by the Incas, in fact, because there are more terraces and buildings on top of the mountain! They considered the mountains sacred and apparently would drag a bunch of stuff up there to perform rituals. In modern times, an occasional railing has been added to assist the nervous or weary climber. (That would be me in both cases. Richard of course had no problem.)
Having a fear of heights, I was more concerned about coming back down the trail, but it was actually no problem.
In some places, the Incan-carved trail went through tunnels under boulders.

Richard holding up the mountain:
Almost at the top! I was on the sentry point/watchtower, standing next to a survey rock (the big pointy one).
Funny story: the shirt I'm wearing is a Randolph-Macon Chemistry shirt. A guy on the trail asked me if I went to RMC. I said, no, I teach there. (typical!) Turns out he was from Hanover County where RMC is located... all the way to Peru to meet someone from rural VA.The view from the top was pretty spectacular. (But it was crowded.) The snow-capped mountains in the background are all above 20,000 ft high!
7 comments:
Your most exhausting post so far. There might have been ones that sounded like it was more tiring but this one gave me the visual panting.
Okay, sorry for posting again. When did you change from "wedding central" to "newlyweds?" I noticed it just now.
just changed the title today. seemed appropriate. :-)
yes, "panting" is an appropriate word!
You have certainly set a high bar for post wedding and honemoon posts. I dont know if I will have the energy! But then again, I dont get a summer vacation ;)
great pictures. thank goodness richard was there to hold up that mountain. ;-)
I am, in fact, working. My "summer vacation" was the two weeks we were away. Althogh, I will admit, I'm working much less than I do during the school year. Too much internet. ;)
Oh, and the other part of my summer vacation is the week before your wedding, Elaine. That works out nicely!
Post a Comment