Thursday, January 4, 2007

The Engagement: Rebecca's Version

Many have asked if I was expecting Richard to propose. No, I did not--at least not that soon. Considering the fact that "marriage" had only been a topic of conversation for 2 months, and that comments referring to marriage out of Richard's mouth were often preceded by the phrase, "Hypothetically speaking..." I did not really expect that Richard was ready. This, in spite of the fact that we had gone to a couple jewelry shops.

We did have a relaxing time hiking with Mike and Jen. Here they are at the start of the day:

While Mike was totally willing to admit that he was being a wimp in refusing to camp overnight because of the cold, I have to say, he was right. It was really REALLY cold. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Richard noted that the moon was full. Actually it was an amazingly beautiful clear night: the moon was so full and bright it was casting shadows. We could easily see each other's faces. I didn't suspect anything until Richard seemingly ignored my comment that we should get going. Instead, he sort of looked down with a look of concentration on his face. (Those of you who know him know the look I'm talking about.) Then he reached into his pocket, and that's when I thought something was up.

It all became clear when he got down on one knee. The LED in the ring box was blinding in the dark. I don't even remember seeing the ring until later. Apparently I gasped, and I do remember that I said, "Yes, yes of course!"

Richard also had for me an engagement booklet he made that contained pertinent information about himself for his prospective bride. It began with his personal statement of faith and ended with an essay entitled, "Why I Love Rebecca." Awww. As my sister later pointed out, he really should have given me the booklet to study first, before requesting and answer. Not that it would have changed the answer.

After talking for, well, a long time, we finally went to bed. I had on all my clothes (4 layers on bottom, 5 on top, two hats, two pairs of gloves, my winter coat over my sleeping bag) and I was still shivering! I guess my sleeping bag was not really rated for sub-freezing temps. When I finally got to sleep (being a little excited, too), I had a dream that I was in a tent, trying to keep warm.


Here we are the next morning, before our unsuccessful St. Mary's gorge hike.

(We didn't make it very far before discovering that the trail had been washed out. That, after we spent something like an hour trying to get me across the river.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the story of the booklet. It is too cute. You guys make me so emotional!

judith said...

I like it when romantic events are told from 2 points of view. You should print your blog post and put it in your album :) Just a suggestion...