Monday, January 8, 2007

The Church

We are getting married in Richard's church, the Presbyterian Church of Fredericksburg. It is a historical church, built in 1833. According to simplyfredericksburg.com, "During the Civil War, the church was severely damaged, the church bell was given to the Confederacy to be melted down for cannons." Huh. There are, in fact, at least two cannon balls from the Civil War still embedded in the church itself. Can you see one in the second-from-the-left white column, above the iron wrought lamp in this picture?



Also, Clara Barton tended wounded Union soldiers here. That's cool. (The things you can learn on the web!)


Inside, the church is beautiful, with white columns, light wood, a high alter and a balcony. Another historical feature: around the pews are surrounded by little boxes. That is, to get into your pew, you open a little gate and walk through. Apparently the purpose of this was to keep the parishioners' feet warm by putting hot coals in there. Or maybe I just made that up. Richard?


Anyhow, the church has no central aisle, but two side aisles corresponding to the two doors in the front (which I guess aren't all that visible in the picture). We may need to get creative in our processional/recessional plans. Any ideas?

3 comments:

judith said...

Yeah, that aisle situation is odd. Maybe the guys can march one aisle and the ladies the other. Then for the recessional the bride and march the aisle opposite the one she took. That way both sides get to see the bride -- not that Richard isn't as interesting. Or, only Rebecca and the flower girls march on one side and all the others use the other side.

judith said...

Okay, missing some words here... I meant "the bride and the rest march the aisle opposite the processional." You must excuse me. I'm always get flustered when I think about weddings. Must be a "weddingaholic." Thank goodness I have boys so I won't have to fight a daughter about her wedding!

Rebecca said...

yeah, i was thinking that it would be a bummer for people if they sat on one side and then didn't get to see as much "action."

right, judith, you don't want to be one of those mothers!