Monday, September 24, 2007

My Students Love Me (Gauley Whitewater Festival)

This past weekend, we went to Gauley Fest, which is a huge whitewater festival near the Gauley River in West Virginia. That and the New River are a huge whitewater sports area. I also gave my students a take home exam this weekend. When they heard I was going kayaking, one asked, "If you die, do we all get A's?" Then another asked, "What if you're in the hospital?" I said, "If I'm in the hospital, and you come visit me, I'll give you extra credit." Unfortunately for them, I did not end up in the hospital. I even had a good time.

I went on a trip of the upper part of the New River organized by some guys from Coastal Canoeists. The river is gorgeous, and we had awesome weather.
I made it known that I was a very nervous newbie, and they took good care of me. After the first rapid, which was bigger than anything I had ever done before, I asked how it compared to the rest. They told me, "This is a small one!" Ulp.
On about the third rapid I hit a big weird wave and went over. I've been used to having instructors in classes right there to rescue me, but in this case my companions were too far away to get there fast enough for my lungs, in my estimation. (I may be wrong; one's perspective is, um, altered when one is upside down under water.) So I bailed. Apparently I picked the middle of the longest rapid to swim. Or that may be a perspective thing again. In any case, I had fun floating through the rest of the big waves and over rocks til the water calmed down again.

After that, something seems to have finally clicked. First of all, having flipped and swam but not dead or maimed, it suddenly seemed not so bad. Secondly, I figured out that I had to relax and let the boat just go through the rapids instead of trying to keep it level. That prevented more flipping. Just go with the flow. Of course. The group gave me a lot of encouragement and praise, also. That somehow helps a lot.

I didn't flip on any other rapids, of which there were plenty. I went through waves up to my eyeballs and was shocked every time I made it through still upright. The rapids were rated class II-III, although I think they all qualify as class II since the water was low. I was glad for that, even though the other paddlers were bummed. I don't have any pictures of me, but you can see some of this section of the river here.

Richard, meanwhile, did the lower New River section, where all the class IV-V rapids are. I managed to capture Richard running the last rapid (Fayetville Station). This is rated class IV, although everyone seemed to think that it was really a class III, again, because the water was so low.





Sunday I went hiking and got some great alone time in God's creation. The New River Gorge bridge (largest arch bridge in the western hemisphere, they claim):


I finally got a picture of a butterfly! ...and a snake. Anyone know what kind he is? Besides camouflaged! His head is in the middle on the right hand side, tail bottom left.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying more of your rapid experiences. After our near death experience falling our of our raft in a class IV in Costa Rica(we did class II-V), I dont think I'll be getting in a raft, or a kayak, for that matter for a VERY long time....or ever for that matter. I have a new found respect for your boldness!

Jimmie said...

I think you are crazy! and there is no words to describe the level of crazythat Richard has

Rebecca said...

Keep the comments coming on how crazy it is. It's good for Richard to gain some perspective from normal people. ;)

Unknown said...

those rapids don't look so bad as i'm watching richard go over them from the safety of a nice sturdy chair sitting on solid ground. ;-)

judith said...

Two words: "deadly sport!" Too many horrific factors, waves -- controlled by nature, rocks -- in cahoots with the waves, water -- temperature and the fact that you don't have gills. The list goes on and on! Terrifying Rebecca. I salute your courage and insanity!

Rebecca said...

gills would be quite useful, although I'm going to bet they don't prevent you from getting trashed by underwater rocks when you're caught upside down in current.

hope: the rapids don't look too bad from on shore either. in a boat approaching them is an entirely different matter. ;)

Barb said...

I have swum many times after tipping over in my kayak and never suffered more than a skinned knee. Of course, when I know I am tipping over I know that while I can roll, I will not, so I usually exit the kayak without getting my hair wet. I too do not like being under water, so on top is better, even if you are now swimming.