Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Jungle: Part I (Flowers)

We took a four day tour to La Parque Nacional de Manu. This is the southern jungle in Peru. Here are some flower pics. These beauties were on the side of the mountain behind Machu Picchu.

OK, this one is not a flower, but some kind of funky cone. (Unfortunately, we don't know and/or don't remember the names of any of these plants. We are lost without our guide Silvia.)

There were some really different-looking flowers.

We saw some bright tropical flowers.

We saw orchids. These particular ones were growing on the side of a rock cliff.

These little purple flowers have some visitors: a couple grasshoppers on the leaf and petal on the right.

These totally funky, spiral-shaped flowers grow in the canopy, and then fall to the jungle floor. They smell absolutely wonderful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics! I'm glad you are still blogging post wedding :)

Anonymous said...

i'll just echo elaine's comment that those are beautiful flowers. can't wait to see more pictures!

Anonymous said...

When I told Toby about your seeing flocks of parrots and the monkeys in the trees, he said, "Well, I know where I'M going for MY honeymoon-- PERU!"